Climate Resilience Funding Workshops
The New England Environmental Finance Center offers periodic workshops designed to help increase community access to climate resilience funding. Workshops offer knowledge sharing, idea exchange, and real-world advice and inspiration for municipal staff, volunteer committee members, and regional entities. Topics have ranged from discussing grant funding priorities and challenges, understanding what funders look for in grant applications, identifying support services and building relationships, learning about successful projects, and beginning the process of establishing sustainable financing sources.
To date, workshops have focused on coastal and inland Maine communities, developed in partnership with the Casco Bay Estuary Partnership, the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, the Municipal Planning Assistance Program at the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry, and Resilience Works, LLC.
Access past workshop materials and recordings below or review our Community Resilience Funding Guidance Series, which assembles the wisdom and expertise of local municipal officials on the challenges and opportunities to funding community resilience initiatives, collected from our workshops.
- Setting Municipalities up for Success highlights various best practices that represent where communities might pursue actions in response to identified gaps.
- Setting Funders up for Impact helps fund managers and grantmakers identify what they can do to help remedy the challenges communities face.
Building Strong Communities With Grant Funding
Building Strong Communities With Grant Funding connected inland Maine community leaders and service providers in discussing grant funding priorities and challenges, identifying support services, learning about successful community projects, and building relationships.
- Presentation: Includes presentations from Jay Kamm, Senior Planner, Northern Maine Development Commission and Kelly Rehberg, Sustainability Programs Coordinator, Greater Portland Council of Governments
Financing Community Resilience: Setting Your Community Up for Success
October 16, 2020 – Webinar
- Presentation, Maine Climate Council: Draft Climate Action Framework, Brian Ambrette, Kristina Ford, and Representative Lydia Blume
Navigating Grant Programs
August 19, 2020 – Webinar
- Presentation, Coastal Communities Grant Program by Ruta Dzenis, Maine DACF
- Presentation, SHIP and BIG Programs, Matthew Burns, Maine DOT
- Presentation, Watershed Planning & Implementation Grant Programs, Wendy Garland, Maine DEP
- Presentation, Municipal Stream Crossing Upgrade Grants Program, John Maclaine, Maine DEP
- Case Study: Municipal Stream Crossing Program